NOAHE Health Economic Scholar (Fellowship) Award (University of Alberta)
Location: University of Alberta, IHE offices, and/or Alberta Health (to be determined)
Accepting Applications: The NOAHE Health Economic Scholar (Fellowship) Award (University of Alberta) will open for competition in September every year
Deadline for Application: October 31, annually
Start Date: January
Salary: $55,000 for one year
Note: This award can be applied as a portion of a longer postdoctoral position, dependent on commitment of funding from other sources.
About the Fellowship
The NOAHE Fellowship provides opportunities for successful recipients to gain practice-based experience working on either their own project of interest, and/or on projects identified by program sponsors as Alberta Health priorities (http://www.health.alberta.ca/about/vision-mission.html). To gain experience working with policy-makers, for both types of projects, this opportunity will be complemented by the mentorship of an academic supervisor from the University of Alberta (UofA), a co-supervisor from the IHE, and a sponsor at Alberta Health.
This work is being supported by Alberta Health through the Health Economics and Funding Capacity (HFEC) Grant.
The NOAHE Fellowship will
- Develop highly skilled research analysts and health economists in Alberta
- Support the Fellow in developing research skills
- Engage the Fellow in broad practice-based experiences and professional development opportunities
- Advance knowledge in health research and economic evaluation through publications and presentations
Eligibility and Requirements
Applicants are required to:
- have training and/or experience in the area of health economics
- Use the Fellowship application form (Download Fellowship application form)
- Fulfill the criteria of a UofA Postdoctoral Fellow (including those related to completion of degree requirements, and length of time since convocation)
- Demonstrate the relevance of the Fellowship to their career goals
- Demonstrate that their area of research addresses a significant and long-term policy issue of interest to Alberta Health/IHE
- Identify the support of a supervisor who has an academic appointment at UofA and membership within the UofA School of Public Health
- Provide 3 letters of support, including one from the UofA academic supervisor
- Commence the Fellowship at a time agreed upon by the sponsors and awardee
- Present Fellowship work to the IHE Board of Directors, Alberta Health, and other relevant stakeholders
Please note that if Alberta Health data are used in the trainee’s project, work in Edmonton may be required, and relevant Alberta Health restrictions (e.g., preapproval of publications) will apply.
Download and complete the NOAHE Postdoctoral Fellowship Funding Application Form and submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm (MT time), October 31st.
All applications will undergo review by a NOAHE-based committee including UofA School of Public Health members with expertise in health economics, and be assessed on the following criteria:
- Academic excellence of applicant
- Academic excellence of academic supervisor
- Quality of training environment
- Quality and relevance of research proposal
- Alignment of the applicants' skills and career aspirations to the objectives of the NOAHE Fellowship